<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 06, 2005

I can't quite reach the pen. I stretch as much as I can while keeping my behind firmly in the seat, and I still cannot reach it. It is all the way on the far edge of the seat, and just barely beyond the tips of my fingers. So I twist in the seat, bending at the waist and extending my torso along the seat, arm outstretched. I get the stubborn little thing, and as I lean back into the driver's seat, I feel something brush against my back.

I look up and reach for the clipboard I had discarded on the dashboard when I went diving for the pen. As I turn my head toward the dash, I see something moving near the window. Oh yes, he's still out there. For a moment I had forgotten all about my paper-loving friend. I take the paperwork, apply the requested signature, and hand it through the window to the waiting man.

He, in turn, hands me a business card. He has written his name on the back, along with a telephone number, and he tells me that I should ask for him the next time I need a rental.

I thank him, making a mental note never to return to this particular location once I have returned the car, and pull out of the parking spot. As I drive past the building on my way out to the street, I see the girl from the counter. She smiles and waves and then, finally, I am on my way to you.





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?