<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 25, 2005

"Please come in. May I get you something to drink?" As I speak, I take his jacket and hang it in the closet by the door. "I'll let Him know you are here."

"Um, do you always dress like that?" "Like this? Oh, no. If we were going to be home alone tonight I would be wearing much less."

I guide him into the game room, and go to the refrigerator to get him a beer. Before I open the door, I lean on it and just let out the breath I have been holding to get through the previous couple of minutes.

"Well," I think, "if I could get through that one, I should be okay."

I take the young man his beer and excuse myself to go upstairs and tell you that one of your guests has arrived. "Wait," he says. "What do you mean you would usually be wearing less? Don't you have any clothes?"

Uncomfortable as I am, I have to hide a smile as I respond, "I have plenty of clothes, and I wear them whenever I need to leave the house. But at home, things are different."

As I make my way up the steps I think that it is really good that your friend seems more embarrassed than I am.

I knock on the bathroom door and tell you that someone has arrived. You thank me and send me back down to continue my hostess duties until you are ready to join your friends.

I spend a few minutes in the kitchen, putting the finishing touches on the food, opening a bottle of wine so you'll have your preferred drink should you decide to indulge this evening.

Two more of your guests arrive, murmur their hello's and seat themselves while I put away their coats and bring them some beer. They have been here before, and I am beginning to think that the evening will be less difficult than I had imagined. I can't understand what is keeping you upstairs so long, but I put out some of the snacks and begin cleaning up the kitchen while I wait.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?